Monday, June 22, 2015

Starting on OOP(Object Oriented Programming) through Java




Hi readers,

I've been wondering if I should throw something out there about getting started with java, since many self taught programmers learn java some time in their life, or not. I teach an introductory class in college, well I guess I instruct. In that class students are introduced to the Java programming language and they learn Object Oriented Programming concepts.

So, in this post, I'd like to write something about getting some tools ready and set to learn the language and concepts that it teaches.


1. Set Up an IDE or Such
Setting up an IDE is important if you want to check or compile your code. There are different IDEs available for Java just like there are several for other programming languages. To see different types of them see here.

2. Use Online Resources
I give my students TutorialsPoint references very often. They give information by variable types; Strings, arrays, etc. If sometimes you don't see the information you want, using Google to search the site and the topic usually will bring up a TutorialsPoint link for it.


Java Oracle Documentation: Many of my students don't like using this site since it's not always the simplest explained. Nevertheless, some still find this page useful for finding what they need.








Stackoverflow: Yes yes, it doesn't give documentation like oracle or tutorialspoint, but it does give you insight to similar problems and similar solutions once you get started. Stackoverflow is also useful for other languages as well.

3. Tutorials
Oracle also gives tutorials here, although the effectiveness of the tutorials are up to you. There are many Youtube videos that give great amounts of info about java, going through things step by step and talking slower so that you can process concepts more properly. Derek Banas give really fast tutorials but if you slow it down or you pause to think through it, it will work out well. His tutorials are more like reviews sometimes so you possibly want to use it as a review when you think you've got the jist of Java.

Through this mini guide I hope that you find some useful resources on where to look to learn Java! :D
I also hope to put up a few more posts/tutorials for Java and possibly videos to go with it, I look forward to helping anyone with the language through my tutorials.

0 comments:

Post a Comment